Pubic Hair: Your Pubes, Your Choice
Lots of people worry about people trimming, shaving or waxing their pubes. No idea why …
Why people like to trim their pubes
So lots of people choose to trim, shave, or wax the hair around their genitals, known as pubic hair. They might do this because
- They think it looks better
- They want to be able to see their genitals more clearly
- It can make penises look a bit bigger
- They prefer the feel of having fewer or shorter pubic hairs
- They think that their partner might prefer it (for example, to reduce the chance of pubes getting in the mouth during oral sex)
- Porn performers often have very trimmed pubic hair and they may want to look like that
- It might be a cultural thing*
Pubes have a role
All fair enough. If you want to trim, shave or wax your pubes then do it: they are your pubes you can do what you like!
However, it’s important to know that they have a function. They help to lubricate and protect the genitals. They prevent friction burns if you like rubbing genitals with someone else. I’ve heard stories of people shaving or waxing their pubes and getting a rash or little spots, and then freaking out that they might have an infection. But this is commonly because of either friction burns or ingrowing hairs caused by waxing/shaving.
Also it’s thought that pubic hair can help to release our own natural scent which makes us attractive to other people (pheremones). But I wouldn’t advise that you deliberately grow your pubes really long in order to attract someone! Lots of people might not like this smell and choose to shave or trim: that’s fine. But also know that the smell is natural and meant to be there.
* Pubic and body hair in general is often culturally specific. In some cultures pubic hair removal is seen as a normal thing to do.
Here’s an interesting article about the history of pubic hair, how many people shave theirs and whether this is down to porn’s influence (spoiler – it isn’t).